Tuesday, April 12, 2016

J -- Jolene

I was struck by what seemed like anguish in the voice of Dolly Parton when she sang, Jolene. It was a song about an unnamed woman who feared that her lover/husband was about to be ensnared by Jolene, against whose superior charms she stood no chance.



I was too young to comprehend anything about the nature of relationships, how complicated and twisted they often got, how they could make a person feel fulfilled and abased in equal measure. And yet I blithely went about singing, Jolene.

In my mind, I seemed to stare wide-eyed at this fearsomely beautiful woman who could take anything she set her heart on, leaving behind broken hearts crumpled in a heap.

My sympathies lay with the unnamed woman whose plea I sang all through the day, unable to get her cry out of my mind. It was as if the childish me was pierced by her pain.



I still hope Jolene moved on to other pastures.


4 comments:

  1. I love the song Jolene - I think it's my favourite Dolly Parton song.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cynthia I loved listening to this song, never bothered about the words, yes but the tune was very good. Thanks for sharing !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great song! I've heard a few of the covers, but Ms Parton does it best.

    Mary
    #AtoZChallenge J is for Jewel

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...