Thursday, July 02, 2020

Book Review: PRAYERS OF BLESSING OVER MY ADULT CHILDREN

Title: Prayers of Blessing Over My Adult Children
Author: Bruce Wilkinson, Heather Hair
Publisher: Harvest House Publishers
Pages: 144
My GoodReads Rating: 






I have great faith in the power of prayer, especially so when it starts from a place where our deepest need meets our greatest faith. Nowhere is the power of faith displayed more strongly than when God-fearing parents trust their children to God’s infinite goodness.

I’ve seen the power of prayer at work in my own life and I know how I could have been on a far less happy path were it not for the faith and unceasing prayers of my parents. It was with this understanding that I too started praying for La Niña and El Niño when they were born. I still pray for them every day.

Of course, my children are still young. La Niña is a pre-teen and El Niño younger, so I don’t need this book right now but I have two beloved teenage nephews, and I know a few people with challenging family members, who I always pray for. So I hoped this book would provide me insight to pray more pointedly for their situations. 

The books starts by reminding parents that adult children are not their responsibility. That when a child becomes an adult or is married, parents must cede their responsibility and assume the role of mentors. On an aside, try telling Indian parents that.

It points out the traps that parents fall into, while assuming responsibility for adult children, and gently guides parents to ask God, their children and themselves for forgiveness for any failures in parenting.

The book gives instances from the Old Testament and from their own lives. It guides parents to pray through the traps, to pray in the Truth, pray through the struggles, pray for the victories, and praying for the Character of Christ. There are 65 guided prayers and affirmative truth for parents to pray and reflect on. Each prayer begins with a verse from the New Testament and then goes on to a specific prayer and finally invites parents to express gratitude for something.

There are some errors, mostly avoidable. On one page, they describe Generation X as the one born between 1965 and 1976 and Millennials as those born between 1977 and 1995. Some pages later, they describe the Boomer Generation as the one born between 1944 and 1964, Generation X as the one born between 1965 and 1979 and then Millennials as those born between 1980 and 1994.

(I read this book through NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...