Sunday, April 30, 2017

Zeg

We’ll bring down the curtains with a word that is so small, yet capable of displacing a set of words that is six times bigger, in terms of the number of letters. I am talking about the Georgian word, Zeg, which describes the day after tomorrow.

All this time, English has lacked a single word to describe this great day. Of course, we had overmorrow in the Middle Ages, but for some reason it never caught on, and people were forced to resort to the awkward the-day-after-tomorrow to express themselves.

Right now, I am thinking about what a great addition Zeg will be to the English language. Think of the number of precious seconds, not to mention ink and paper, we could save if we could simply say and write Zeg, instead of the never ending day-af-ter-to-mor-row.

What could we not do with all that time we managed to save? 

Methinks I could start thinking about next year’s A to Z Challenge so that the Xs and Zs and Qs of this world don’t try to catch me off-guard.

Of course, we still face the problem of the day before yesterday.

What do we do about it? Would any language like to help us out?

Meanwhile, I'd like to take some much needed rest. I'll see you on Zeg or the day after Zeg, when I'll tell you what I learned from this A to Z April Challenge 2017.

8 comments:

  1. Zeg-zeg?
    Thank you - this theme was a lot of fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cynthia - great word to finish with ... and one we could adopt I'd have thought ... I'm not going to try, but certainly will use it - perhaps it'll catch on in the decades to come! Cheers and congratulations with finishing ... and yes to the zeg x one or two more zegs!

    http://positiveletters.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/v-is-for-vocabulary-various.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But .. where did the Georgian connection come from?!?!

      Delete
  3. Zeg = parso in hindi. Truly enjoyed your series Cynthia and nice connecting up again.

    Suzy at Someday Somewhere - Zeal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on finishing the challenge and finding so many words for us to use in the future. I'll be taking zeg off most likely but I will be back on Monday with two more places to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a really useful word to finish with, Cynthia - I agree we should all start saving time and ink and use Zeg from now on. I'll be back to work on zeg for a start and will be sure to spread the word :) Congratulations for completing the Challenge - yippee!!!
    http://pempispalace.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/z-is-for-zola-zenith.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've enjoyed your A-Z and all the interesting words you discovered. Thanks!
    A-Z of Printmakers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on finishing the challenge! Your posts have been very informative and mostly funny. They have also made me think of my language. So, in a word, I've enjoyed them. Thanks!
    -----
    Eva - Mail Adventures

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...