Friday, April 14, 2017

Layogenic and Livslogga

Trucks in India sport the words, Keep Safe Distance, gaily painted on their sides or back. It is a safety reminder to the driver that follows them.

It is also a reminder that sometimes distance is good, particularly when being close at hand brings no relief. Some things are better seen from a distance.

That’s the essence of Layogenic, a Tagalog word that describes something that looks good from afar but is a real mess when seen up close. 

Social media brings some painful people into our lives, and none more so than Facebook. Time spent on Facebook, I have discovered, is detrimental to our well-being, unless you are good at keeping your wits about you, and constantly remind yourself that everything you see is Layogenic

That the couple that spare no opportunity to express their love for each other online may actually be hurling pots and pans at each other.

That those who spout wisdom online may be pretty clueless about where their own lives are headed.

Can you think of anything Layogenic?





Another painful person that Facebook brought into our lives is the one who is addicted to Livslogga, literally life log in Swedish. In other words, Livslogga describes the habit of constantly taking pictures of one’s own life.

We all know them. They’ll show us pictures of themselves as soon as they are out of bed, then take us through their day, their meals, wardrobes, families, routines, everything. They are a stalker’s dream.

I know somebody who announced on Facebook that he was suffering from “loose motions.” He even included a picture of himself, sitting presumably on his throne, his forehead all creased, forcing himself into action. Fortunately, for our sanity, the picture showed him neck upwards.

I saw another picture of someone who clicked himself beaming next to the body of the dead person at a funeral. Not my Facebook friend. This was someone who was mentioned on a website to demonstrate the crassness that people sometimes display even in the presence of the dead.


Do you know anybody who is addicted to Livslogga?



14 comments:

  1. I think most online dating sites should be renamed "Layogenics 'R' Us"
    That is, of course, just one woman's opinion...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my opinion too. That makes two of us.
      Layogenics are everywhere. It's just that we see the true picture much too late.

      Delete
  2. Hi Cynthia - forgive me ... but both appal me! I hardly use FB and don't waste time with social media ... and I love Jz's comment ... these are such apt words ... cheers Hilary

    http://positiveletters.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/l-is-for-legendary-beasts-of-britain.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sane minds are always appalled by the unreal, and social media is certainly that. Totally fake.
      As always, happy to have you here.

      Delete
  3. Both apply well to facebook. I limit my interactions on social media. But I do enjoy instagram.

    Suzy at Someday Somewhere Live as if

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Facebook is notorious for harbouring people indulging in Layogenic and Livslogga behaviour. I have reduced the time I spend on FB too.

      Delete
  4. You are right, both are very useful words! Now that I'm moving out of the US I am thinking most countries are layogenic... :D

    The Multicolored Diary: WTF - Weird Things in Folktales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both are indeed useful words, but don't feel so alarmed. I'm sure every country has its good and bad points. You'll find good people wherever you go.

      Delete
  5. These are both great words. I am not on Facebook and fail to understand why folks feel the need to share everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Denise. I too limit my time on FB, and when I go there, I refuse to share anything personal.

      Delete
  6. Thankfully, I don't know anyone of the Livslogga variety, but the first is pretty prevalent methinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes, the Layogenic variety is everywhere and in everything. Try online shopping to learn more. What you get is never what you see on screen.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...