Friday, April 28, 2017

Xenomania

This is a warning. Today’s post is a cheat post.

I scoured the Internet and pecked at friends’ minds in the hope of finding a word starting with the letter, X, in another language. A word that had no equivalent in the English language.

And came up with nothing.

And so, this post is a place holder, a hope that I will not drop out of the A to Z April Challenge 2017 so close to the finish line. 

And so, here's my grateful thanks to Denise, for suggesting today's X-word. Her blog, My Life in Retirement, is where I go when I want to do some mouse-travelling. She also has a beautiful garden that keeps her busy.

Xenomania, a word with Greek origins (it’s a foreign word, even if it’s recognized by English now) that describes a fascination with all things foreign.

Not unlike my theme for this year’s challenge.


If any of you can think of any word beginning with X, hailing from any language in the world, that has no equivalent in English, I’d be happy to write another post.

8 comments:

  1. X-cellent. The fact that we make it this far says all that needs to be said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, it would be a pity to give up when we are about to finish.

      Delete
  2. Hi Cynthia - that's a great word - well done ... and for sourcing and asking friends. There's no compunction in this challenge - and I've always 'cheated' for my X word ... in some form or other ... one of them might have been X for ... even that in 2011 didn't quite fit ... but it was fine. Make your own rules ... cheers Hilary

    http://positiveletters.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/x-is-for-x-war-facts.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hilary. The great thing about this Challenge is the sense of community it builds, helping us get over the Xs in our lives.

      Delete
  3. X is a tough letter. I cheated too and made it a sound rather than a word!

    Suzy at Someday Somewhere - Xtraordinary Moments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Suzy, the E is redundant. X-tra-ordinary should begin with an X.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...