Saturday, April 23, 2016

T -- That’s what friends are for, Those were the days

That's what friends are for was first sung by Rod Stewart but it is the version with Dionne Warwick, Luther Vandross, Whitney Houston and Stevie Wonder that we remember the most. The official video was apparently performed along with Elton John, Stevie Wonder and Gladys Knight.




When I was younger, my friends and I used to sing it together. It was our friendship anthem. I remember how we used to sing it as our college years tapered to a close. It seemed to symbolise everything beautiful about our friendship.


Those were the days by Mary Hopkin was another childhood favourite. What a voice she used to have. So distinctive, so completely unlike anything I'd heard before.

The first time I heard it, I had gooseflesh. It was so hauntingly beautiful. And the lines, where the narrator looks in the glass in the tavern and thinks, Is that lonely woman really me?





This song could cause me to feel sentimental for no reason I could think of.

After having spent five of the most beautiful years of my life in college, I think I was afraid of the rest of my life going downhill from then on.

Those were the days my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we choose
We'd fight and never lose
Those were the days, oh yes those were the days


3 comments:

  1. I remember "That's What Friends Are For", the version you mentioned. That takes me back.

    Liz A. from
    Laws of Gravity

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the lyrics to both of these, but never heard of Mary Hopkin. The version I am familiar with is by Englebert Humperdinck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember Those were the days, my mum loved this song and we sang it in every summer camp too. Strange how this emotion can take over even when you're 10!

    Andrea from The Script Bible
    Volunteer in Damyanti's D Company #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...