Saturday, April 02, 2016

B -- Bridge Over Troubled Water, Blowin' in the Wind, But You Love me, Daddy

Bridge over Troubled Water was my introduction to the astounding repertoire of Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel, known popularly as Simon and Garfunkel. With just this one song I realized what a phenomenon they were.





At its heart, the song was a touching promise and a proof of rock solid commitment. Growing up, I learned to value the strength it contained within itself, the reassurance it offered.

Can there be a greater love than laying down your life for those you love?

But this one ranked a close second.

Being there for those you loved. Holding their hands and comforting them. Wiping the tears from their eyes and offering to stand between them and the hardships that each day flung at them. That was the comfort that was implicit in these words.

A safe way out of the most difficult situations. When the world turns its back on you, how comforting to have that one person who never deserts you, but stands in your corner to the very end.

In essence, the song expressed the strength of the most durable relationships. The promise in the song was the glue that holds and binds all ties together.

As a kid, I wondered if a special someone would ever sing this song for me.

As a teenager, two of my closest friends and I sang it for the fourth friend in our quartet when she had her first heartbreak. Later, we all had need of that song. It was a part of growing up, and it was refreshing to hear that song, whether it was sung soulfully by Simon or Garfunkel, or “murdered” by tone-deaf friends, the comfort it offered, remained undiminished.


Bridge Over Troubled Water can still do that to me.




Another B that has the ability to blow me away was sung by none other than a B. It was Bob Dylan’s Blowin’ in the Wind, a song that helped me appreciate how compelling a well written song could be. 



Sheer poetry.
The poetry of protest and revolution and insurrection.
The poetry of questions.

The kind that asks questions that no one has answers to.

But even when the answers are blowing in the wind, it helps to know that they are there. Like the wind, invisible and hard to grasp, but certainly there.

Blowin’ in the wind helped me understand that music didn’t always have to soothe.

Rap, the sound track of the anti-Establishment, had not yet emerged as a voice then. And Blowin’ in the Wind succeeded in making a political statement that was couched in stylized vocals. It seemed so easy.

There was no grilling or rattling of our consciences.

Without holding anyone of us responsible for the abysmal state of affairs, it still managed to evoke in us a sense of political responsibility.


What kind of a song was it?
Just a series of rhetorical questions thrown up into the air, into the wind, left to fall as they may, by the wayside where they might be trampled upon or in the minds of its listeners who might be persuaded to understand its deep meaning.

What kind of a man did it speak of?

How many roads must a man walk down,
Before you call him a man?
 

Whether you were a woman, a dark-skinned person, a slave or a prisoner, whatever you were, it enveloped you and the oppression you suffered in the embrace of “man,” signifying the human experience, and how we are all alike, or ought to be.

But even within the confines of melodiousness, I could see that it was possible to prick the conscience of your listeners, to make them see that some things weren’t right, to feel for those others, even in the midst of your comfort.

The writing was beautiful, and as the song flowed on, sonorous, seemingly lulling you to sleep, it was actually shaking your sensibilities awake.

Whether Dylan was speaking against war or about human rights and freedom, I believe he was asking us, as humans, to give others their due, to give them the same rights we demand for ourselves.

Pay attention to the lyrics of that song, and you’ll see what I mean. If you don’t already, and you’re not already nodding in agreement.

The answer is blowin’ in the wind. Will that wind move us to tears or leave us scrambling for cover?

The answer to that question is as relevant as ever.


The third B song that mattered much in my growing up years was Jim Reeves' But you love me, Daddy.




Dad used to sing it to me, and because I was 5 then, I believed he'd made it up for me. Of course, a lot of the other lyrics didn't strictly apply to me. You can read more about it here.

That song can still make me feel all warm and fuzzy and gooey inside. 

I learned that it wasn't Dad's original composition only when it played on the radio, on Saturday Date. For a brief while, I felt crushed. Dad had not written that song for me.

But the feeling passed.

And I realised that it didn't matter if Dad wasn't the original singer. 

When Dad sang it, it was mine.

That was all that mattered.






15 comments:

  1. The vocals of Paul & Art are amazing. it just flows over you. A lovely classic indeed "Bridge over troubled waters"...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bridge over troubled water is just so beautiful... I love the music. Thanks for sharing the songs :)

    Visiting from A to Z Challenge
    Pam's Unconventional Alliance Team
    A Whimsical Medley
    Twinkle Eyed Traveller

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are the kinds of songs I hear in the background and tend to pay little attention to, though I never heard of the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of them beautiful! Really! I wish someone could sing the bridge over troubled water for me! It's so sweet! The last one -but you love me daddy - I think they have they used it in a Hindi movie.

    Shubhangi @ The Little Princess

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Blowing in the Wind, very powerful. I didn't really know the last one, but I also grew up with my parents playing his music :)
    Suzanne from
    Suzannes Tribe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bridge over Troubled Waters is one of my all time favorites. Great selection for the day.

    Mary
    Twitter: @KnottyMarie
    Literary Gold
    Jingle Jangle Jungle

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have heard about the bridge over troubled waters long time ago... now the but you love me daddy is something I can never forget, used to listen almost every day.. its one of cutest song and thanks for bringing back some very beautiful memories...of music. thanks for sharing and all the very best for this A-Z challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to read unknown and new things via the April Challenge :)

    B - The
    Eye of the Beholder

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! that's some collection. I never heard English music as a teen. Now relishing them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I loved all those songs and as I read your post heard all of them in my head.thanks for all the memories they brought back

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful song! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful songs. Bridge Over Troubled Water was mine and my best friend's favorite song as kids. And Dylan, ah! such a wonderful poet!
    Have a great weekend!
    Lori

    My A2Zs @ As the Fates Would Have It & Promptly Written
    Follow Me (Ravyne) Twitter|Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow-way to long for me with over 1000 blogs to visit, but love your theme, this presentation, and the clarity of your blog. Now I will be humming Bridge Over the rest of the afternoon. If you have time between songs and an interest in hotels & inns, join me and we'll arm chair travel together.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad to have come across this post. Thanks for sharing this great song.
    You can read Army Wife Tales at
    Tale Of Two Tomatoes


    Also, visit to take a look at 26 lip-smacking Chicken Recipes at Something's Cooking

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...