Thursday, January 01, 2015

15 goals for 2015

A whole new year is upon us.

2015.


For some strange reason I cannot explain, there seems to be some sort of finality about this one. Like it’s meant to be a milestone year of some sort.

And so I’ve come up with this list of things to do. Things to get done.


Some of them… heck, who am I kidding…almost all of them are repeats from previous years. Which brings new meaning to that phrase, shifting goalposts.

What better than to recycle those old goals then?

In the hope that this will be the year in which I get things done. So here they are.


1) SEW: A skirt, a bag, even a dish cloth. My mother’s sewing skills have always been extraordinary. I guess my obsession with achieving some skill at sewing has to do with proving to myself that I am cut from the same cloth.

2) GET CRAFTY: La Niña loves to tinker around with pen, paper, colours, scissors etc. She is always trying to save stuff from ending up in the garbage and giving it new life. Getting crafty will enable mother and daughter to spend more quality time together.

3) BAKE MORE OFTEN: The kids love my baking attempts. So far, they’ve always turned delicious. The baking attempts, that is, not the kids, though they're sweet too.


This year, I’m going to try my hand at cake decoration too. If that calls for taking a few classes, I’m game.

4) ACHIEVE FLUENCY IN SPANISH AND PORTUGUESE: The Internet is our biggest friend when it comes to learning a new language. I’ll keep you posted on the sites that help me on my journey. ¿Vale?

5) COMPLETE A NOVEL THIS YEAR -- ANY GENRE: I made an attempt with the NaNoWriMo in November 2014, but had to give up a week into the challenge. 

Maybe a whole year will be kinder to my challenge than a single month was.

6) COMPLETE AND GIFT AT LEAST 3 CROCHET PROJECTS TO FAMILY AND FRIENDS: If you knew how much yarn I have, you’d wonder if I wasn’t a little batty. I have a compulsive desire to buy more yarn. This year, I hope to put it to good use.

7) COOK MORE OFTEN: When I say cook, I mean experiment. Try something new. A dish from another cuisine. Or from a food blogger’s blog. I used to do that a long time ago.

8) GIVE UP NAGGING: Not doing something that provides such sweet release to the spirit is going to be difficult. But this will be my New Year’s Gift to the Husband.

365 days of No NAGGING.

I wonder how I will vent out my frustration though.

9) READ 50 BOOKS THROUGH THE YEAR: Last year, I signed up for the GoodReads Challenge, promising to read 50 books. A few months later, I revised my commitment to 75 books, and fell flat on my face, having read just 33 books in the year. 

This year, I am going to be more modest and stick to 50.

10) SAY THE FULL ROSARY EVERY DAY: I’ve said this before, but it bears repetition: “More things are wrought by prayer than this world dreams of.” 

If you need a prayer, I'll pray for you too.


11) VOLUNTEER FOR A GOOD CAUSE


12) WRITE AND PUBLISH MY FIRST BOOK: This will be a lead-out from something that began on my blog. If you are a regular reader, you can guess what it is.


13) WRITE MORE THAN 100 BLOG POSTS


14) COMPLETE TWO PARTIALLY WRITTEN SHORT STORIES


15) WORRY LESS


There is a famous quote attributed to Woody Allen that says that if we want to make God laugh, we should tell Him our plans. Will mine cause Him to laugh? I’ll guess I’ll know this time next year. 


And on that note, I declare this to be a Happy New Year 2015.



2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...