Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Goodbye, 2014

How did it get so late so soon?
It’s night before it’s afternoon.
December is here before it’s June.
My goodness, how the time has flewn.
How did it get so late so soon?
- Dr Seuss

With two children whose combined ages still add up to a single digit, I do a lot of reading of children’s books. And Dr Seuss, with his penchant for rhyming, ranks up there among our favourites. And so it is only fitting that I should start this post with a quote from him.

For it’s that time of the year.

December has always been my favourite month, for as long as I can remember. A huge part of that has to do with it being Christmas season, and how it has always been synonymous for hope and faith and for believing again. Ever since I was a little girl, I just felt that no matter what had gone wrong that year, it was going to be set right in the most spectacular manner possible.

And that was the other thing about December. It brought with it the promise of newness, the opportunity to wipe out the disappointments of the year that was whizzing by, and to dream, build and hope again. To believe that we have been granted a clean slate, some coloured chalk and a chance to re-write our lives.

Are we going to grab that chance to finally set things right? Or is it easier to lull ourselves into believing the lie that nothing ever changes and that resolutions are meant to be broken?

I hope you and I both have the courage to start something new in the coming year.

And while we are still here, on this side of 2014, I invite you to make some goals for yourself.

Goals are magic. They are paths that could lead us down completely new directions. 


If only we let them.

So go ahead and make some goals. One, two, or twenty. It doesn’t matter how many. Of course, “15 goals for 2015” does have a nice ring to it.

Write them down on a sheet of paper, and put them up where you can see them every day.
On your soft board.
Or your mirror.

Maybe 2015 is the year when you will finally get over your fear of the deep and learn how to swim.
Or learn a new language.

Or maybe you will overcome your phobia of heights and climb your first mountain.

Maybe you will make the first move towards reconciling with that estranged loved one that you haven’t spoken to in a long time.

Or maybe you will put pen to paper, one word after another, and finally write the untold story that is inside you. 

The first of many you know you were meant to.

Whatever it is, no matter how unconquerable it may seem at this point, I hope you will take that first step. As the greats say, one year from now, you’ll be glad you did.

Here’s wishing you a truly fulfilled 2015.

I hope to see you more often in the coming year. I hope you'll drop by.



4 comments:

  1. Nice to read your post after a long time, you are always inspiring and motivating... I too love December, for the excitement it creates, and the celebrations it brings, I am looking forward for 2015 with new goals and bid good bye with gratitude for 2014 !! thanks for sharing... May you have a beautiful year ahead..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Genevive. It is so lovely to have you on my blog. Yes, December is a very special time. As I get older I realise that if the magic of the new year fades away soon, it is because I allow it to fade. This year, I have decided to make my goals and pray and try hard to make them come true. I wish you and your family a beautiful year 2015. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year to yo and your family. I look forward to reading your posts in 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Denise, I wish you and yours a very Happy 2015 too. Thank you for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...